Everyone always looking for the latest training method, the new super food, or a revolutionary diet trend and losing sight of the basic principles of training & nutrition that have proven to work long before these fad were ‘discovered’ and will be there long after we've forgotten about them.
So what are the basics?
Base 90% of your workout around the large compound lifts (Squat, Deadlift, Pull Up, Dips, Lunge, Overhead Press, Horizontal Row& Bench Press) and do a few extras in the other 10%. To grow or maintain muscle size lift close to failure within 8-12rep range, to get stronger lift weights in the 1-6rep range. Higher reps/set = less sets & visa versa. Train 3-5 times per week.
Do some cardio each week, if its interval based make it is short & intense (10-30mins), if it’s continuous steady pace, more isn’t always better. If you are going for over an hour just go faster and cut the session time back to 40-60mins.
Nutrition Basics (Simple but a challenge to stick to)
- Minimise processed & artificial food (including sweeteners)
- Eat 1.5-2g protein per kg of bodyweight
- Eat lots of vegetables with a wide variety
- Minimise sugar/high GI carb intake
- Don’t be afraid to eat natural health fats
- Make carb sources high in fibre & low GI
- Stay hydrated
- Set some goals with a time scale to meet them.
‘If you don’t know where you are going you will probably end up some place else’ – Laurence J Peters
- Do not have conflicting goals, you can not get better at everything all at once. Pick an area to focus on, once you have achieved your goal, set another in different area of weakness. You are not going to effectively improve your endurance capacity whilst simultaneously increasing your max power output.
Keep it simple, be consistent, do the basics well and get some results!
Author - Tom Peto
Available for magazine & website articles